Saturday, February 18, 2012

Roast, roast, roast...



Having lots of fun learning about roasting thus far. The smells, the sounds... Approaching 10 batches of beans, haven't burned one yet! Decided to do a roast of the Guatemalan today that we did as our first batch, but tried a lighter roast. The results - 
  
                  


Yup, same beans. Funny thing is that I roasted the lighter beans on a different setting for LONGER! Next, I'll have to do a few batches of the same bean and do different roasts at different speeds and try them side by side.

One thing I have definitely learned thus far is how important listening is. See, beans "crack" when they heat up. Not once, but twice. And its CRUCIAL not to let the beans roast past the second crack, or you end up with charcoal. No this has not happened yet, but I have had to stop the roast on a couple batches. Likewise, I have had to add time on a batch to get the darker roast I was looking for. Listening is everything...

Think I'll go try another batch.

2 comments:

  1. All depends on the bean, the quantity and the roast... I've done anywhere from 18 to 30 minutes for roast and cooldown.

    ReplyDelete