Thursday, March 1, 2012

From a Little Green Seed

Mary, Mary, quite contrary.  How does your garden grow?

In an empty coke bottle with soil and water,
See it!  It's the tiny vertical line in the middle.
that's how my coffee garden grows!

There's a sprout!  There's a sprout!  Two of the six Guatemalan green beans that Chailyn and I planted in our home-made coke bottle terrarium have shown their leafy heads!

Do you see how many exclamation points I have used?!  Can you tell I am excited?!

Now, I have to tell you that I have a black thumb.  Seriously, I kill everything except tomato plants.  And maybe the red chili plants in my garden.  But if it's INSIDE, it's as good as dead.  So... we shall see if these little things make it past newborn phase.

And should they survive- there are also negative consequences I will have to deal with:  If I grow them hearty enough to eventually bear fruit, my sunny meditation room will feel like The Jungle Book.  However, in three years we'll be able to brew about one pot of coffee from the painstakingly fermented, dried, and roasted cherries.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment